Get Even Closer to the Arts: Jobs at CAPA
It takes a lot of behind-the-scenes effort to bring quality entertainment to Columbus. CAPA is a great opportunity to go beyond the stage and learn about the arts from the inside out.
CAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Job summary: The Columbus Association for the Performing Arts seeks a Development Associate to be responsible for providing information management support to the Vice President of Development and the CAPA Development Department. This also includes the organizations to which CAPA provides shared fundraising services.
- Maintain Vice President's appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, teleconferences, and travel
- Conserves department employee time by: researching, and routing correspondence; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications
- Produce information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics
- Support day-to-day administrative tasks including copying, scanning, and archiving, packet preparation, etc.
- Manage department mailbox, calendar (Outlook) and track event RSVPs
- Print and fulfill monthly mailings for each organizations
- Maintains department supply inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies
- Additional duties as assigned
- 3–5 years administrative experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Prior work experience in the arts and/or non-profit sector is preferred
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Access
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Strong administrative writing, scheduling, meeting management and organization skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and professionalism
Additional information: In addition to a standard background check, this position requires a credit check that is satisfactory to management.
To Apply: email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com or mail to:
Attn: Human Resources
55 E State Street
Columbus, Oh 43215
Executive Assistant to the Music Director
The Columbus Symphony Orchestra (CSO) seeks a full time Executive Assistant to the Music Director. This position reports directly to the Music Director, but may also take direction from the General Manager. The Executive Assistant to the Music Director's primary function is to provide executive administration for the CSO's Music Director (MD). Responsibilities include overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Music Director's office and managing communications with various CSO/CAPA departments, musicians, guest artists, and other external relationships. This position plays an important role in documenting the collaborative and planning meetings and strategy sessions of the CSO.
This position will work closely with the CSO's Managing Director, General Manager, and Orchestra Personnel Manager.
- Provides day-to-day executive administration to the MD
- Assist with implementations of the MD's artistic vision for the CSO
- Acts as a liaison between the MD and the CSO's constituents, internal and external
- Arrangement of travel and accommodations for MD and guest artists
- Coordination of communication between the MD and other CSO staff
- Records minutes of CSO and MD meetings as needed; coordinates the agendas of these meetings
- Conducts musical research and assists with production planning as directed by the MD
- Documents planning and collaboration efforts on a broad range of CSO strategy tropics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of orchestral nonprofit organizations, with an understanding and appreciation of the roles of the Board, senior management, the musicians, and the support volunteers
- Proven ability to write and communicate (including speaking) effectively with constituents both internal and external to an orchestral organization
- Awareness and substantial knowledge of the current field of classical music
- Ability to work with an orchestra membership that includes musicians of varying backgrounds and abilities
Credentials and Experience
- BA Degree that includes formalized music education/training
- Three or more years of related experience performing duties outlined above.
- Ability to utilize standard office software including Microsoft Office. A working knowledge of Excel
- Previous experience in written communication is required
To Apply: Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Summary: CAPA seeks a part-time Custodian to maintain the integrity of the theatres by providing a clean safe environment for the patrons and user groups.
- Remove trash and replace liners
- Mop, wax and vacuum floors
- Clean windows that can be reached from the ground or with extending equipment (inside and out)
- Clean and sanitize restrooms and water fountains
- Ensure an adequate supply of cleaning supplies is kept on hand at all times
- Keep the building exterior clean including hosing down entry areas, and cleaning accessible lighting
- Occasionally fill in at the receptionist desk at Ohio Theatre as needed
- Set up rental space as needed by user groups
- Stage in house items for receptions on the reception level
- Clean the Ohio Theatre kitchen on the 6th floor and restock with simple cleaning supplies
- Clean and sanitize the Ohio Theatre reception level kitchen
- Water & maintain plants in the Boulevard outside the Ohio Theatre
- Move furniture such as desks, tables, chairs and equipment
- Dust fixtures, walls, ceilings as directed
- Operate various powered equipment in the performance of assigned duties
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- Simple knowledge of electricity and plumbing
- Can work independently or in a group
- Available to work days, nights and weekends
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to occasionally lift 70 pounds, and more regularly lift 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for long periods of time & be able to climb stairs and ladders
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to follow established safety procedures and uses all safety equipment provided
- Ability to take the initiative in areas the need immediate attention.
To Apply: Please email or mail your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or
Attn: Human Resources
55 E. State Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Special Events and Development Intern – Fall 2016–Spring 2017
Job Summary: CAPA seeks a Special Events Intern to be responsible for supporting the Development staff on major fundraising special events including galas, pre-show parties and individual/sponsor cultivation events. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to gain experience in an energetic and established non-profit organization. They will be a fully integrated member of a dynamic team and will obtain the opportunity to explore all of the back-office departments which enable CAPA to carry out its mission. This is an unpaid internship being offered from Fall 2016–Spring 2017.
- Work closely with development staff to coordinate sponsorship, host committee, and invitation mailings. Manage and update event mailing list.
- Provide pre-event administrative support to Events Manager
- Coordinate follow-up with companies to secure items
- Work with development staff and event committee to package items
- Product package descriptions and signage for the event
- Be on site at multiple events and play a major role in event-day execution.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Build awareness of fundraising procedures and best practices
- Develop hands-on event planning experience
- Learn day to day operations of performing arts non-profits organizations
- Strong organizational skills
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Attention to accuracy and detail on all levels
- Excellent verbal and email (Outlook) communication skills
- Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be comfortable on the phone and have a pleasant manner
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing Internship - Fall 2016
CAPA seeks a high energy, motivated professional to join its marketing team as a CAPA marketing intern. The ideal candidate is passionate about advancing performing arts and has a desire to work with traditional and digital marketing. This is an unpaid internship with a time commitment of September through December.
What You Will Learn
- Creating long term social media plans and marketing calendars
- Tracking social media and email analytics
- Creating engaging online content
- Grassroots distribution of marketing materials
- Planning and assisting with CAPA events
- Relationship building and teamwork within a fast-paced office environment
- Other duties as assigned
What We Are Looking For:
- Individuals who are passionate about the arts
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and Hootsuite
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task on a day-to-day basis
- Excellent and professional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with Photoshop, HTML, and Google Analytics preferred
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Must have reliable transportation and own a laptop and smart phone
- CAPA background check required
Please send a cover letter (including availability) and resume to email@example.com by July 25, 2016.
*No phone calls, please.
Owner and operator of downtown Columbus' historic Ohio, Palace, and Southern Theatres, and manager of the Riffe Center Theatre Complex, Lincoln Theatre, and Shubert Theatre (New Haven, CT), the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) is a non-profit, award-winning presenter of national and international performing arts and entertainment. For more information, visit www.capa.com.