The CAPA Marquee Awards
The CAPA Marquee Awards are designed to celebrate, support, and advocate for high school musical theatre education throughout Central Ohio. To participate, schools register to have their productions reviewed by a team of three adjudicators, who will provide directors with valuable feedback. After the adjudication period ends on April 28, 2019, nominees for awards will be announced at a press conference event.
This regional program culminates at the Lincoln Theatre on June 3, 2019 at 7:30 pm with the CAPA Marquee Awards. Modeled after the Tony Awards®, this red-carpet ceremony will feature outstanding student performances and awards for top ensembles, performers, excellence behind-the-scenes, and more. Each school will have the opportunity to nominate students to participate in the opening and closing numbers. At the finale of the showcase, the CAPA Marquee Awards’ Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Actress in a Leading Role winners will be named. In late June, the winners will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to New York City where they will receive professional instruction and compete with students from other regional programs for the title of Best National High School Actor and Best National High School Actress.
Registration will open here at NOON on October 15, 2018.
In order to qualify as Best Actor in a Leading Role or Best Actress in a Leading Role, nominees must perform in a Qualifying Role in an Approved Musical in a full-length high school production during the 2018-2019 school year. To review the current Qualifying Role in an Approved Musical list, please click here.
To learn more about the National High School Musical Theatre Awards, please click here.
Goals of the CAPA Marquee Awards:
- To recognize, honor, and encourage excellence in high school musical theatre through a constructive review process of nominated productions by qualified adjudicators;
- To deliver educational workshops and advancement in dance, voice, acting, and stagecraft for high school students locally, regionally, and nationally;
- To offer professional development and networking opportunities for students, directors, and school programs;
- To give students an opportunity to perform on a CAPA stage;
- To create positive attention for theatre arts and music departments at local schools and school districts; and
- To showcase the importance of theatre arts education in our schools.
For more information about the CAPA Marquee Awards, please contact Amy Handra, Director of Education at [email protected].